Many people believe that this dip in energy is caused by the food they ate for lunch. While not entirely untrue, it is not the main cause of your drowsiness. The real reason why you feel so tired in the afternoon has to do with your circadian rhythm, which is set for two periods of rest within a 24 hour cycle or what is more commonly referred to as a biphasic sleep cycle.
In the book, Dr. Maas states that if you are getting an adequate amount of sleep at night you may not need to nap in the afternoon. However, if you need or want to nap in the afternoon he makes two recommendations: nap for 20 minutes or nap for 90 minutes.
Customers who bought this item also bought
His rationale is that the shorter nap 20 minutes takes you through the first two stages of the sleep cycle excluding the REM stage , while the longer nap 90 minutes takes you through the entire five stage sleep cycle including the REM stage. As a result, in both cases you are not waking up while still in REM sleep. So if you truly want your naps to be re-energizing then stick to either 20 minutes or 90 minutes at a time. I highly recommend you check out Sleep to Win! What I have covered in this article just skims the surface.
See a Problem?
The book is chock-full of great advice and deserves to be read. Also, you can support the site at not cost to you by shopping at Amazon using this link. Manny De La Cruz is a lifelong fitness enthusiast turned style aficionado. Interested in taking your style to the next level? Join my list for exclusive content on how to look your best. We all know that sleep is important. When we get enough sleep we feel energized and ready to take on our day. But when we short change ourselves we often feel tired, groggy, and downright miserable.
- Ich weiß es! Die erfolgreichsten Wege zum perfekten Gedächtnis! (Ziele erreichen in 60 Minuten 4) (German Edition);
- El extraño caso del Dr. Jekyll y Mr. Hyde (Biblioteca Nueva de Aventuras) (Spanish Edition)?
- More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops.
- Works of Susan Coolidge;
- Mentoring the Student in the Student - Athlete Dyad: Focusing on Health, Wellness, and Academics!
- The Promise of Happiness?
I figured that I might learn something that I could use to improve my performance in the gym. According to Dr.
Sleep to Win!: Secrets to Unlocking Your Athletic Excellence in Every Sport by James B. Maas
Maas, from puberty to about 26 years of age people need about 9. The rest of us old fogies need between 7.
- Delicious Cookie Recipes - Chocolate Chip Cookies and Other Fabulous Cookies to Make For Dessert Today (Chocolate Chip Lovers Series Book 1).
- Buying Options.
- Button Gwinnett: A Historiography of the Georgia Signer of the Declaration of Independence.
- MORE COMMANDERS LOST TREASURES YOU CAN FIND IN THE STATE OF MICHIGAN - FULL COLOR EDITION.
- Safety Culture: An Innovative Leadership Approach.
- A Man of His Word: The Life & Times of Nevadas Senator William J. Raggio.
- The Bradys and the Girl Smuggler or, Working for the Custom House (TREDITION CLASSICS)?
- Buck Tanners FAQs: Volume Ten - Your Genie.
- Homemade Beauty Care! 30 Secret Natural Recipes To Creating A More Youthful Looking Skin!.
- Wanderings in Ireland!
- DescripciÃ³n del producto.
Keep a regular sleep schedule. Go to bed and get up at roughly the same time every day. This means less available energy for the athlete. Cortisol levels decline. Growth hormone levels increase. Cognition, reaction time, coordination, and recovery speed all improve. These are all good things, no doubt. So make sure to get your sleep! I like to use black out curtains. Maintain your bedroom only for sleeping. Keep the television and computer out. Avoid caffeine after 2pm. Caffeine has a half-life of about 6 hours.
If you need a boost in energy in the afternoon I find napping for 20 minutes works well. Refrain from the consumption of alcohol within 3 hours of bedtime. Another reason to abstain from alcohol.
How To Sleep To Win
Cut out all nicotine. Refresh your browser page to run scripts and reload content. Click the Internet Zone.
Sleep To Win! Davis , James B.
Maas Paperback January 18, Prices and offers may vary in store. Kobo ebook. Title: Sleep To Win! Customer Reviews of Sleep To Win! Select Parent Grandparent Teacher Kid at heart.